Thousands of people gathered in Co Donegal today for a rally against water charges.Anti water charges groups from all around the county gathered in Letterkenny this afternoon,Estimations for todays turnout have varied between just over 1,000 to up to 7,000 protesters.Barry Whyte reports:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/waterprotest.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Facebook LUH still not ready to restore IT systems Twitter Facebook WhatsApp Thousands turnout for anti water charges protest in Letterkenny Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire By News Highland – January 31, 2015 RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Google+ WhatsApp Pregnant women can receive Covid vaccine at LYIT’s vaccination centre Gardai investigate deaths of two horses on the N56 Pinterest Twitter Homepage BannerNews Previous articleWorld number one heads the field on 20-under parNext articleNeil Martin recaps Donegal Sport Star Awards. News Highland Lárionad Acmhainní Nádúrtha CTR to take part in new research project Google+ Pinterest Andrew McGinley says his children are getting him through life
Horse Sport Enews Email* Organizers of upcoming FEI endurance rides worldwide are being urged to take part in a trial of lower heart-rate parameters, in a bid to reduce attrition rates.The trial will take place from February 1 – April 1, giving the FEI’s new “temporary” endurance committee time to review results before the FEI Sports Forum from April 16-17.But there has already been a setback with the major ride in Fontainebleau, France, declining to participate after “taking into account the many comments of the riders.” The organizer – who has no title-sponsor this time – faced a boycott. Fontainebleau also notes that veterinarians have always had the opportunity to request a re-examination if the horse’s recovery time is too long.The trial parameters are 64 beats per minute (bpm) with a presentation time of 20 minutes at the first vet-gate, and then 60 bpm in 20 minutes at all other gates and the final inspection. Current parameters are 64 bpm within 20 minutes for all gates and 64 bpm within 30 minutes for the final inspection. Critics say the proposals won’t make a significant difference, and ought to be applied simultaneously with other measures.Supporting Fontainebleau’s decision, Stephane Chazel is a member of the FEI endurance committee which was replaced by the temporary committee during the fall. He said, “I am against this measure, there are no problems on our races in Europe. I do not see the interest in changing from 64 to 60. The FEI is just looking to distract, to make us forget its responsibility for the WEG fiasco!”French rider Catherine Faure posted: “As if being at 60 instead of 64 was a sign of good health of the horse and good management of the rider!! It is a ridiculous and useless measure that will not solve problems outside our borders!”Because it is the closed season for endurance in Europe and most of north America, the trial will take place mostly in the southern hemisphere, though spring rides in Florida and New Mexico are among the 50 fixtures approached.This is the second major initiative of the FEI’s new endurance “temporary” committee. After its inaugural meeting last month, the committee announced steps to increase transparency about ride-related equine deaths with a new rule effective from February 1. The need for this was illustrated on January 4 at the first of the UAE’s big-purse rides, the 345-horse starter Sheikh Mohammed Cup in Dubai. Viking, a 12-year-old UAE-trained horse lent to young South American rider visitor, sustained a catastrophic (fatal) injury according to the FEI. However, the official Dubai results listed Viking as eliminated for GA (irregular gait.)The poor completion rate of 30% in the Sheikh Mohammed Cup, plus reports of stewards needing to remove 20 distressed and lame horses during the loops themselves, has provoked widespread debate. FEI endurance committee member and elected athlete representative Tarek Taher posted on his public Facebook page: “This is unacceptable. I am mad as hell.” Tags: France, FEI endurance, Fontainebleau, heart-rate parameters, Sheikh Mohammed Cup, Subscribe to the Horse Sport newsletter and get an exclusive bonus digital edition! More from Horse Sport:Christilot Boylen Retires From Team SportAfter an exemplary career as one of Canada’s top Dressage riders, seven-time Olympian Christilot Boylen has announced her retirement from team competition.2020 Royal Agricultural Winter Fair CancelledFor only the second time in its history, The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair has been cancelled but plans are being made for some virtual competitions.Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Statement on 2020 EventAs the Province of Ontario starts to reopen, The Royal’s Board and staff will adhere to all recommendations put forward by government and health officials.Government Financial Assistance for Ontario FarmersOntario Equestrian has recently released this update of several financial assistance packages available, including those for farm business. We’ll send you our regular newsletter and include you in our monthly giveaways. PLUS, you’ll receive our exclusive Rider Fitness digital edition with 15 exercises for more effective riding. SIGN UP
WCVB(NEW YORK) — A black college student is speaking out after a campus employee called the police on her to report seeing someone who appeared to be “out of place.”Oumou Kanoute, a student at Smith College working as a teaching assistant and residential adviser, was eating lunch in a dorm common area on July 31 when an officer with the Northampton Police Department approached her.“I did nothing wrong, I wasn’t making any noise or bothering anyone. All I did was be black,” Kanoute wrote on Facebook. “It’s outrageous that some people question my being at Smith College, and my existence overall as a women of color.”Videos of the incident recorded by Kanoute captured audio of her interaction with the responding officer. In one video, Kanoute can be heard explaining to the officer that she was on a break and relaxing in the common area.“No students of color should have to explain why they belong at prestigious white institutions,” Kanoute wrote.In an interview with ABC affiliate WCVB, Kanoute said she felt she needed to speak up.“If you see the video, I was really calm, but on the inside I wasn’t calm. I was terrified,” Kanoute said. “Hopefully you don’t have to go through that, but if you do, just be strong, be smart and just use your phone in case anything happens to you.”Kathleen McCartney, president of Smith College, addressed the incident and publicly apologized to Kanoute.“I begin by offering the student involved my deepest apology that this incident occurred and to assure her that she belongs in all Smith spaces,” McCartney wrote in a letter to the college. “This painful incident reminds us of the ongoing legacy of racism and bias in which people of color are targeted while simply going about the business of their daily lives.”In response to the incident all staff members at the college will be required to participate in anti-bias training beginning this fall, McCartney wrote.The college has also hired an independent party to investigate the incident, according to school officials. Once the investigation concludes, the university said it will determine if the employee involved will be sanctioned.No police report was filed in the incident, as the officer found the complaint to be unfounded. The department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.Kanoute did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
But the piece of Keselowski racing nostalgia had a little bit of his sponsor’s product remaining in the bottom of the glass — not ideal.“Those people that know me know that I like to leave things as they were, meaning that we located the glass from 2012,” Keselowski said. “It still had beer in it, a little on the bottom. Needless to say, that was not a pleasant sight, but it was authentic. So my wife is cleaning it as we speak. She’s going to wrap it up, put it in a nice bubble-wrap box, and hopefully we’ll be getting it out Sunday night.” For old times’ sake, the large glass that Brad Keselowski used to toast his 2012 NASCAR Cup Series championship has been located. The bad news: It wasn’t empty.Keselowski will apparently have the super-sized glassware on standby when he gets his shot at the 2020 title in Sunday’s season finale (3 p.m. ET, NBC/NBC Sports App, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio) at Phoenix Raceway. He earned his first premier series title eight years ago at Homestead-Miami Speedway.RELATED: Why Brad Keselowski will win the 2020 title | Phoenix scheduleIn 2012, he celebrated with the trophy, but also with a sudsy flagon of Miller Lite — his primary sponsor at the time. That led to a viral moment in a tipsy Victory Lane interview with ESPN’s SportsCenter, something that Keselowski — now married and with children — has been warned by his family not to repeat.“My wife has told me that she will prepare the glass as long as I promise to drink responsibly,” Keselowski said, “and we have a deal.”
It was a hell of a run for the Westhampton Hurricanes.The locals broke out of the gate undefeated, won 10 in a row, captured the League V title, and took on all comers in Suffolk’s suicidal Class A tournament.Westhampton was able to vanquish each of its rivals until the final one, mighty Amityville, in the Class A title game Friday at Suffolk Community College–Brentwood.The Warriors, who are gearing up for a state title run, looked the part Friday, dismantling a very good Westhampton squad 83-66. It wasn’t that the Hurricanes didn’t come to play.Jake Guadiello opened the scoring by doing what he has all year—nailing a three-point bomb—and Westhampton held a slim lead through much of the first quarter.Amityville is a deep and talented squad though, and has a special talent, the senior point guard Josh Serrano, a five-foot, 10-inch wiz who will make some college very happy next season.Serrano orchestrated the proceedings, made sure each of his talented teammates had open shots, and then, in the fourth quarter, like an assassin on a mission, put away his target.Credit Westhampton with heart and soul. The Hurricanes, outmatched, would fall behind again and again. But each time the game seemed out of reach, the locals mounted a spirited comeback.For example, Amityville went on a 12-0 run in the third stanza led by Julius Goddard (eight of his 17 points), to open a 21-point bulge.But the celebrating of the Warriors’ giddy bench players stopped when the Hurricanes methodically closed the gap, at one point, having a chance to get it to nine points.That’s when The Assassin zeroed in on his prey. Serrano scored 13 of his 29 points in the fourth quarter, and it became apparent Westhampton had no more answers. The fatal blow was a three-point bomb by Serrano after a hastily called timeout following Westhampton’s final surge. The youngster broke free, using his dazzling ball handling to create space. Then, he calmly squeezed the trigger and watched the ball nestle into the net as gently as a bird feather in a warm summer breeze.Fellow senior Julius Goddard had 15 points for the winners and Jayson Robinson added 17 points.Gaudiello finished with a team-high 23 points and six assists. Nolan Quinlan added 12 points, nine rebounds, and five blocks for Westhampton. Simon Brathwaite added 19 for the losers.Amityville (22-1) continue to play the other classification winners in the Suffolk tournament—the Warriors will get a shot to win the large schools title, but that will have no bearing on the real prize, The New York State Class title. That quest begins March 10 at Farmingdale State College, when the Warriors take on the Nassau County Class A champions for the Long Island title.Westhampton (20-3) advanced to the title game by beating Harborfields 60-57 on February 20. Guadiello (24) and Quinlan combined for 46 points. Share
Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribe
PORT-OF-SPAIN: Radio Jamaica and Television Jamaica Limited, the country’s leading media providers, have acquired the exclusive FIFA Women’s World Cup free-to-air and cable television rights, including the right to simulcast its free-to-air channel TVJ via broadband transmission on 1spotmedia and televisionjamaica.com. The stations have also acquired non-exclusive radio, mobile to other FIFA events in 2019, which also includes the FIFA Under-20 World Cup Poland 2019 and the FIFA Under-17 World Cup Peru 2019, as well as the FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup. The agreement allows viewing on both TVJ’s free-to-air channel and its cable channel TVJ Sports Network, as well as radio rights to broadcast on HITZ 92 FM – It’s Reggae. It’s Sports! “We have a responsibility to ensure that Jamaicans experience and enjoy the thrill of the Reggae Girlz’s first-ever appearance on the global stage for women’s football and we are happy that we, along with DIRECTV, can provide Jamaicans with this opportunity,” said Gary Allen, chief executive officer for the RJRGLEANER Communications Group, of which Radio Jamaica and Television Jamaica are members, adding that “this very satisfying agreement with DIRECTV for the 2019 FIFA events has given Jamaicans more exposure through radio, television and other media platforms, to top-quality football in various age groups for men and women”. EXTREMELY PLEASED “We are extremely pleased to partner with Radio Jamaica Limited and TVJ in bringing these events to Jamaica. By acquiring Caribbean media rights to FIFA matches, we are delivering more football than ever before with the latest technology, thereby expanding the viewership for the game at all levels,” said Bernard Pantin, general manager of DIRECTV Caribbean. “This affirms DIRECTV’s commitment to football in the Caribbean, providing us with an opportunity to deepen our relationship with the sport in the region and continue to grow its base of supporters.”
Varane and Alvaro Arbeloa, who was spun by Oscar, didn’t cover themselves in glory, but the blasted finish past Keylor Navas from the home side’s No 9 was worthy of the occasion. In the build up to the game he’d doubted whether his side would even get into Madrid’s area; they went one better than that. 29/10/2014 Sam Marsden CET But while they coasted in open play, they were able to make their hosts pay from their first corner of the match. James delivered the cross and Varane thumped home with his head. Cornella usually play in the shadows of Espanyol’s Cornella-El Prat stadium but today they played inside it, borrowing it for this special occasion in their history, and they played their part in this tie as well: Oscar Munoz sent his side’s fans into a state of both disbelief and delirium when he squared the match at 1-1 after Raphael Varane’s headed opener. It was your typical David v Goliath cup tie. Cornella lined up with a dentist, several teachers and a man who looks after the Bicing city bike hire scheme in Barcelona, while Madrid, fielding a weaker team than the one which beat Barca, included €80million man James Rodriguez and French international Karim Benzema in their lineup. Those two were complemented by Isco and Javier Hernandez. It has been six months since Gareth Bale’s goal won Real Madrid the Copa del Rey and on Wednesday night they got their defence of the trophy off to a perfect start. After the highs of Anfield and the Clasico, they managed to keep their heads to overcome third tier side UE Cornella in what proved their 10th consecutive win in all competitions. Cristiano Ronaldo, whose monthly salary would cover the Catalan side’s annual budget, may have been resting back in the Spanish capital, but this was a front four capable of shooting down a side recently promoted to Segunda B without the need to slip into third gear, let alone fifth. Goliath taking an early lead would normally hit David quite hard. Not this David, though. Roared on by a crowd of just under 30,000, Cornella continued to play. They clearly lacked the quality of Madrid but it was still 11 v 11: “They’re only human,” Pep Caballe, the Bicing worker, had said before the game. After 20 minutes, they struck gold. Upd. at 22:23 Several corners later, though, Madrid got themselves back in front. This time Isco delivered the ball, although it was once again Varane who rose highest to nod it beyond Jose Segovia. Varane would score again, though, and Javier Hernandez and Marcelo were also on target as Carlo Ancelotti’s side eventually sealed an inevitable 4-1 win. There will be a second leg, at the Bernabeu, but you get the feeling Madrid are already into the last 16. Cornella’s hopes of a comeback survived until half time, only for Hernandez to end them almost immediately after the restart. The Mexican capitalised on some hesitant defending by dispatching the ball in the bottom corner from the edge of the area. It was his fourth goal in the white of Madrid. Despite that, it was Madrid, not Cornella, who appeared to have stalled early on. Hernandez skewed a pass when well positioned into no man’s land and Alvaro Arbeloa would follow that up with some sloppy control. After such an impressive last seven days, it looked as if Madrid decided they only needed to turn up. After the third goal the home side, dressed in green, had a sustained spell of possession and pressure and may have had a second goal if Joel Marin’s crossing had been better or Oscar had a yard more pace. They couldn’t drag themselves back into in, though, and Marcelo made absolutely sure of the result when he smashed into the roof of the net after Segovia had saved from Isco.
23/11/2015 Sport EN Atletico Madrid are still struggling in front of goal and yet they sit second in the table after seeing off Real Betis at the Benito Villamarin. CET It was a poor game by the player who has often been Simeone’s saviour this season. Upd. at 02:54 The striker is still looking for his 100th goal in an Atletico shirt, but was a lively presence up front. Atletico are now are now on 26 points, four behind leaders Barcelona but two ahead of rivals Madrid. As was his partner Antoine Griezmann, though the Frenchman missed several golden chances to double the lead. Koke scored the goal that earned Diego Simeone’s side the three points, after a Fernando Torres strike was turned away by Adan.