RelatedCabinet Approves Pension Scheme for Tourism Workers Advertisements Five Bidders Shortlisted for Norman Manley International Airport Budget 2015/2016April 21, 2015Written by: Latonya Linton Story HighlightsFive potential bidders will be invited to participate in the Request for Proposal stage for the privatisation of the Norman Manley International Airport.They have been identified and shortlisted by the Enterprise Team, which has been established to supervise the privatization process.Minister of Transport, Works and Housing, Dr. the Hon. Omar Davies, said the five firms are from Europe, Asia and South America. RelatedRare Earth Pilot Project Was Successful – Minister Paulwell FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail RelatedTourism Ministry Stages ‘Christmas in July’ Five potential bidders will be invited to participate in the Request for Proposal stage for the privatisation of the Norman Manley International Airport.They have been identified and shortlisted by the Enterprise Team, which has been established to supervise the privatization process.Making his contribution to the 2015/16 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on April 21, Minister of Transport, Works and Housing, Dr. the Hon. Omar Davies, said the five firms are from Europe, Asia and South America.“We take particular pleasure in the fact that two shortlisted consortiums include Jamaican partners. I have also been informed that a third is actively seeking collaboration with Jamaican firms involved in the aviation industry,” the Minister noted.Dr. Davies informed the House that bidding documents will be issued at the beginning of June, and it is anticipated that the transaction will be completed by early next year.
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 30 JUN 2016 LIVE FROM GSMA MOBILE WORLD CONGRESS SHANGHAI: Luigi Licciardi, head of standards and technology disclosure at Telecom Italia, wants the industry to keep up momentum on the road to commercialising Narrowband (NB)-IoT, insisting that roll-out should not be delayed past 2017.Licciardi said he has been concerned by talk at Mobile World Congress Shanghai which suggested the launch of the low power wide area (LPWA) network for IoT could be pushed to 2018, stating bluntly that the industry “needs this technology available as soon as possible”.Speaking on a panel at the event alongside representatives from Vodafone and Chinese operators China Mobile, China Telecom and China Unicom, Licciardi said business had to begin in 2017, a timeframe also targeted by its European rival.“The industry has started to do proof of concept, and a range of pilots and trials, but in all honesty we need this technology available to address the important issues. I was worried when I heard 2018, because the model is not particularly complex. We need to have the compatible chipsets and devices available as soon as possible.”Licciardi’s urgency could be explained by the fact that the NB-IoT standard is one of many LPWA technologies on the market, with competition coming from established proprietary rivals such as Ingenu, Sigfox and the LoRA Alliance. The NB-IoT standard was only officially ratified by 3GPP earlier this month.Earlier in the week at the GTI Summit, Luke Ibbetson, Vodafone’s head of strategy and R&D, however played down competition in LPWA, as he described NB-IoT “as the real deal”.Do more than connections During today’s panel, all five operators opened up on how they were now ramping up their efforts to test use cases for the network in their labs, and Huang Yuhong, deputy general manager at China Mobile and vice chair of the NB-IoT Forum, said operators should look to do more than just provide connections for IoT.“Connections is not enough,” she said. “We can also build service platforms and help development, which means we can provide more value added service. By doing more, we can also provide more integrated solutions for our customers.” NB-IoTTelecom ItaliaVodafone HomeMWC Shanghai 2016 Telecom Italia urges 2017 NB-IoT deployment Kavit joined Mobile World Live in May 2015 as Content Editor. He started his journalism career at the Press Association before joining Euromoney’s graduate scheme in April 2010. Read More >> Read more Author Previous ArticleMWCS16 Keynote: HTC ChinaNext ArticleFCC: spectrum from TV broadcasters worth hefty $86.4B Tags Kavit Majithia
Highly influential Indian musician/guru/politician/pundit Ravi Shankar has died in a US hospital at age 92. His music transcended all cultural barriers. He is survived by his daughter Norah Jones. The BBC reports that he had been admitted to the Sripps Memorial Hospital in San Diego last week, yet failed to fully recover from surgery.The Shankar family released the following statement via ravishankar.org:“It is with heavy hearts we write to inform you that Pandit Ravi Shankar, husband, father, and musical soul, passed away today, December 11th, 2012.As you all know, his health has been fragile for the past several years and on Thursday he underwent a surgery that could have potentially given him a new lease of life. Unfortunately, despite the best efforts of the surgeons and doctors taking care of him, his body was not able to withstand the strain of the surgery. We were at his side when he passed away.We know that you all feel our loss with us, and we thank you for all of your prayers and good wishes through this difficult time. Although it is a time for sorrow and sadness, it is also a time for all of us to give thanks and to be grateful that we were able to have him as a part of our lives. His spirit and his legacy will live on forever in our hearts and in his music.”Ravi Shankar is often regarded as the most igained international fame in the mid 1960′s when George Harrison of The Beatles traveled to India for six weeks to study under his tutelage. His music influenced many rock bands of the time including The Byrds and The Beatles. Beatles Ringo Starr released a statement stating, “Ravi was a great loss musically, spiritually and physically. God bless to Ravi’s family. Peace & Love,”. While known for his music, Ravi was often thought of as a guru or pundit first. He later went on to play the famous Monteray Pop Festival, Woodstock Music Festival, to generate proceeds for the flood of refugees pouring into India, as well as The Concert for Bangladesh. He has won three Grammys and was also nominated for a Academy Award for Best Original Music Score for his work on the film Ghandi.Later, from 1986 to 1992, Shankar put his politics into practice as a member of India’s upper house of parliament, the Rajya Sabha, or state assembly, serving with India’s current Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.“It was difficult, often, to judge what was more remarkable — the man or his music,” Singh said of Shankar.Ravi Shankar on death, “We are afraid of death, because we don’t know what it is. Fear comes from the unknown, something which we don’t know. It’s nothing. You’ll find the body has dropped, but nothing has happened to you. You are intact; you take another body.” And, Death is very complementary to living. It’s nothing opposed to life. It’s a complement to life; it makes life new and fresh.”George Harrison and Ravi ShankarBangla Dun – Live in NYC
Press Release, September 11, 2014; Image: Gazprom Russian gas giant Gazprom said its net sales of gas increased by RUB 6,133 million, or 1%, to RUB 909,952 million in the three months ended March 31, 2014 compared to the three months ended March 31, 2013.For the three months ended March 31, 2014 net sales of gas to Europe and other countries increased by RUB 56,065 million, or 13%, to RUB 484,379 million compared to the three months ended March 31, 2013. This change was primarily due to an increase in average prices in RUB terms (including customs duties) by 10%, which was reinforced by the increase in volumes of gas sold by 3%, or 1.3 bcm.Retroactive gas price adjustments were recognized in the consolidated interim condensed financial information for the three months ended March 31, 2013 as an increase in sales in the amount of RUB 73,430 million reflecting a decrease in previously accrued liability.Net sales of gas to FSU countries increased by RUB 4,982 million, or 4%, to RUB 126,759 million in the three months ended March 31, 2014 compared to the three months ended March 31, 2013. The change was due to an increase in average prices in RUB terms (including customs duties) by 5% and a decrease in volumes of gas sold by 10%, or 1.9 bcm.Net sales of gas in the domestic market increased by RUB 18,516 million, or 7%, to RUB 298,814 million in the three months ended March 31, 2014 compared to the three months ended March 31, 2013. This is primarily explained by the increase in the average domestic price for gas by 14%, which was partially compensated by the decrease in volumes of gas sold by 6%, or 5.8 bcm.In the three months ended March 31, 2014 profit for the period attributable to owners of Gazprom totaled RUB 223,007 million, which is RUB 157,658 million, or 41%, lower compared to the three months ended March 31, 2013.1 Russian ruble = 0.026754 U.S. dollars
Share RelatedCameron County honoring state order to “reopen” Texas on Friday By Gaige Davila [email protected] Cameron County’s shelter-in-place order, first enacted on March 25, and the 12:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. curfew, will effectively end today, Friday, May 1, in response to Texas Governor Greg Abbott’s executive orders to “reopen” the state. Cameron County Judge Eddie Treviño, Jr.…May 1, 2020In “News”Now open: Ribbon cutting ceremony held for new pavilion, boardwalkBy GAIGE DAVILA [email protected] Several local, county, and state officials officially opened the new pavilion and boardwalk on Isla Blanca Park via a ribbon cutting ceremony on August 29, just before sunset. The pavilion and boardwalk have been open since last week, in conclusion to over a year of construction…September 6, 2019In “News”County parks, boat ramps and regulated religious services allowed under new Cameron County executive orderBy Gaige Davila [email protected] Editor’s note: This article will be updated as more information becomes available. County parks, boat ramps and religious services in Cameron County are now allowed to operate, with restrictions. Cameron County Judge Eddie Treviño, Jr. announced the lifted restrictions during an April 24 press conference. The…April 24, 2020In “News” Beachgoers on Isla Blanca Park’s mile of beach on Sept. 8. Photo by Gaige Davila.By Gaige [email protected] County beach accesses and beach parks reopened this past Tuesday, as Texas sees its COVID-19 positivity rate dipping below 10 percent for the first time since late June. Anglers fish from Isla Blanca Park’s jetties on Sept. 8. Photo by Gaige Davila.On Sept. 8, families and anglers came to the reopened Isla Blanca park, distancing themselves from others on the mile of beach between the Jetties and the Sandpiper Pavilion. Cameron County Judge Eddie Treviño Jr. announced the reopening during a press conference on Thursday, Sept. 4, saying beach parks like Isla Blanca Park and Andy Bowie Park would reopen with a 50 percent parking capacity. The two parking lots in between the Sandpiper Pavilion and the D.J. Lerma Pavilion are now wrapped in caution tape, prohibiting people from parking there. Beachgoers and anglers are limited to parking at the first lot near the D.J. Lerma Pavilion as part of the county’s reopening regulations. On the county’s Beach Access 5 and 6 and Boca Chica Beach, cars must be parked 20 feet away from each other. Cameron County’s reopening of beaches comes as Texas’s COVID-19 seven-day positivity rate drops below 10 percent, decreasing to 9.64 percent on Sept. 1. As of press time, the state’s positivity rate has fluctuated between just under ten percent and 7.24 percent, the state’s seven-day positivity rate on Sept. 6. Texas’s COVID-19 positivity rate, which had not been below 10 percent since June 22 (9.76 percent), measures the percentage of COVID-19 cases in the past seven days in relation to the number of tests that have occurred.A juvenile grey heron strolls the Jetties at Isla Blanca Park on Sept. 8. Photo by Gaige Davila.The county beaches reopening also comes after media attention towards RV reservations inside Isla Blanca Park and Andy Bowie Park. Stuart Diamond, a South Padre Island attorney, who is representing 13 people who were ticketed after surfing at Isla Blanca Park on July 24, accused Cameron County of privatizing the beach parks for RV renters. Those tickets have not been dismissed upon the beach park reopenings, Diamond said. Because the surfers were allegedly violating the then-valid emergency management order—which closed county beach accesses and parks—by walking through Isla Blanca Park, Cameron County’s reopening of the beach park does not change the status of the tickets, Diamond said. Diamond expects trials for the tickets to occur sometime next year but hopes the tickets could be dismissed before then. The PRESS has contacted Trevino’s office and is awaiting comment on why Cameron County has reopened beaches and if it is related to Texas’ decreasing COVID-19 positivity rate or the surfers being ticketed in Isla Blanca Park. Members of the Surfrider Foundation’s South Texas Chapter had scheduled a protest on Sept. 6, calling for Cameron County to reopen the beach parks and access to the general public. The rally was cancelled after Treviño announced the county’s beach access and beach parks would be reopened. “We got our public beach parks back open, so now it is up to you all individually to be responsible and show Cameron County that we can be responsible while enjoying them,” the group said in a Facebook post.Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.
A round-up of the latest transfer speculation involving Chelsea…Chelsea have again been linked with Leicester midfielder N’Golo Kante, this time by The Sun.The newspaper say the Blues and Arsenal are determined to sign the 25-year-old, who has been a key player in Leicester’s title triumph.AdChoices广告Kante reportedly has a £19.7m release clause in his contract and reports in his native France have suggested that Paris St-Germain are also interested in him.The Sun say Leicester are ready to double his wages and that incoming Chelsea boss Antonio Conte believes he would be the ideal signing.Conte has been tipped to sign a number of playersThe Daily Mirror claim Conte is confident of completing a £45m deal for Napoli striker Gonzalo Higuain and that it could open the door for Diego Costa to leave Stamford Bridge for China.The Mirror also suggest Eden Hazard modelling Chelsea’s kit for next season is an attempt by the club to quell speculation that he could be on his way out of the Bridge.Meanwhile, the Daily Express reports that Fulham’s Ben Pringle is wanted by Glasgow Rangers.Pringle, who is currently on loan at Ipswich, is said to be seriously considering a move to the Scottish club. Click here for Tuesday’s transfer speculation Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook