Chuck Blazer, the former FIFA executive committee member who pleaded guilty to racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering, has died, his lawyers said on Wednesday.A statement from Blazer’s two lawyers did not provide details or the circumstances of his death.Blazer, 72, was general secretary of the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) from 1990 to 2011.He pleaded guilty in the United States to bribery and financial offences in 2013 and was later banned by FIFA from all football activities for life.According to the transcript of his November 2013 guilty plea, Blazer and others in FIFA agreed to accept bribes in the bidding process for the 1998 World Cup in France and the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.FIFA’s ethics committee said Blazer breached rules on loyalty, confidentiality, duty of disclosure, conflicts of interest, offering and accepting gifts, and bribery and corruption.As part of the 2013 plea agreement, Blazer agreed to cooperate with investigating authorities in the United States while they investigated the FIFA corruption scandal, which eventually played a crucial role in the departure of its former president, Sepp Blatter.Blazer had accused another former CONCACAF president, Jack Warner, of having pocketed funds from a $10 million project to support the African diaspora in Caribbean countries at the time of South Africa’s successful bid to stage the 2010 World Cup.FIFA opened an ethics investigation over bribes-for-votes allegations in the 2011 FIFA presidential election after Blazer reported a possible case of bribery between Blatter and then FIFA presidential candidate Mohamed Bin Hammam.Warner and Bin Hammam were also banned by FIFA for life.FIFA was not immediately available for a comment on Blazer’s death. A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Brooklyn, which is overseeing the FIFA probe, did not respond to a request for comment.
Apoel missed out on a Europa League place following a 3-0 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur in their final Champions League group game on Wednesday night.The Cypriots went into the game knowing that they had to get a better result than Borussia Dortmund, who were facing holders Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabeu.Things were looking positive early on for Apoel, with news filtering through that Madrid had raced into a 2-0 lead.Meanwhile at Wembley, Spurs were piling on the pressure but were unable to find the net. Fernando Llorente’s header was fumbled by keeper Nauzet Perez, but he responded well to deny Davinson Sanchez on the follow-up, before Georges-Kevin N’Koudou’s subsequent rebound was cleared off the line by Jesus Rueda. Danny Rose then swung in a corner which was met by Juan Foyth but the header went just wide.Eventually, however, the opener arrived for the hosts. A pass out wide from Harry Winks found Serge Aurier who whipped in a devilish cross for Llorente. The Spaniard turned superbly with his first touch, and then prodded home with his weaker foot for 1-0. Soon after, it was 2-0. Heung-min Son found space on the edge of the box, exchanged the ball with Llorente, before curling beautifully past Perez. The goal came as a huge blow to Apoel’s chances just before the break while, around the same time, Dortmund halved the deficit in Madrid.At the start of the second half, Apoel so nearly got back into the game. Full-back Praxitelis Vouros drove a shot to the far corner but his goal-bound strike was deflected inches wide by Rose.It was a sign that it was not going to be their night, and with Dortmund levelling in Madrid, it was becoming an impossible task.Spurs continued to dominate and the third goal finally arrived with ten minutes left through N’Koudou’s deflected shot. Madrid got a late winner against Dortmund but, by that time, Apoel’s fate had been sealed. The Cypriots finish bottom of Group H with two points, the same tally as Dortmund but with an inferior goal difference. Tottenham top the group, with Real in second.
Former Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino is “motivated for his next project” – but wants to return to the club one day to finish the job he started.Pochettino left Spurs in November, six months after leading the club to the Champions League final, and has been linked with Newcastle in recent days.Reports claim the Argentinian is the main target of the Magpies’ prospective new owners should they complete a takeover but Pochettino could not disguise his desire to return to north London at some stage in his career.The ex-Southampton boss, who spent more than five years at Spurs, told BT Sport: “It was an amazing journey that finished the way no-one wanted it to finish.“But deep in my heart I am sure our paths will cross again. From the day I left the club, my dream is to be back one day and to try to finish the work we didn’t finish. We were so closing to winning the Premier League and Champions League.“But of course I am looking forward to moving on and I am so motivated for the next project.“But deep inside I want to go back because the fans are so special. Maybe in five years, maybe in 10 years, but before I die I want to manage Tottenham.“I want to feel what it means to win one title with Tottenham because the fans are amazing, all the love we received was amazing and that is a good opportunity to pay back all the love they showed us from day one.”
BUSINESS NAME: CPS Nursing Education Consulting Institute Inc. BUSINESS ADDRESS: 207 Allen Ave., Glendale, CA 91201 PHONE: (818) 563-1935 WEB SITE: www.nclex-pass.com WHY DID YOU START THIS BUSINESS? This business grew out of my consulting to nursing schools for the planning of curriculum and the continuing education of nurses to keep their license current. WHERE DID YOU GET THE IDEA? Due to the number of foreign-trained nurses being recruited to work in the United States, we have all the resources here to upgrade nursing assistants to LVNs and LVNs to registered nurses. HOW LONG WAS IT FROM CONCEPT TO OPENING? Roughly six months. WHAT DID YOU DO DURING THAT TIME? I continued my consulting and got statistics to branch into the upgrading and education needs. WHAT WERE YOUR STARTUP COSTS AND HOW DID YOU FINANCE THE BUSINESS? $10,000, financed through my previous business. I own my own building and had all the office equipment, so my financial outlay was to incorporate and furnish classroom facilities. WHO DID YOU RELY ON FOR ADVICE? Networking, news media and my own background. WHAT HADN’T YOU CONSIDERED BEFORE OPENING? The need for U.S. nurses is just as great as for nurses in other countries. WHAT IS YOUR EXPECTED REVENUE THIS YEAR? Roughly $200,000 WHAT GOALS DO YOU HAVE FOR THE COMPANY? To offer quality education and guidance to those persons offering care and understanding to the public at large, and to have more people, young and mature, enter a noble profession.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! OWNER: June Belyea-Cochran ESTABLISHED: 2005 NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES: Three DESCRIBE YOUR BUSINESS: We do education of nurses. That includes preparation for licensing, integrating foreign-trained nurses for U.S. employment and assisting with the upgrading of nurses’ aides to Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN). IS THIS YOUR FIRST BUSINESS? No
Tom Rennie is joined by the former Tottenham defender Chris Perry to look ahead to the Premier League’s most vitriolic derby as Spurs host Arsenal at White Hart Lane on Saturday. Can the North London rivals bounce back from midweek defeats to chase down league leaders Leicester?The former Manchester City captain Steve Lomas was stunned by how poor the Citizens were against Liverpool in midweek… and wonders whether Pep might regret signing for City if they don’t make the Champions League. Steve also has his says on West Ham’s terrific season – another of his former clubs.Plus: Sam Parkin is on the podcast – the former Chelsea & Ipswich striker looks ahead to the Blues match against Stoke this weekend as they chase down the top 6.
MANY tributes have been paid to John ‘Bernie’ Boyle who passed away at Donegal Hospice at the weekend. Yesterday we published a poem by his friend John O’Donnell.There was a huge response – and today Mr O’Donnell has asked us to show this video tribute to John.May He Rest In Peace. His Funeral Mass is today at 11am in St Columba’s Church, Acres with burial afterwards in Belcruit Cemetery. DDTV: VIDEO TRIBUTE FOR JOHN BERNIE BOYLE was last modified: January 3rd, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DDTV: VIDEO TRIBUTE FOR JOHN BERNIE BOYLE
Thomas Pringle TD says the closure of 12 Community Welfare Service Clinics in Donegal will be kept under under review.Thomas PringleThe Donegal Deputy met with Minister Joan Burton in relation to the matter.“I will be holding the Minister to her word on that with a view to getting the clinics reopened if necessary if the service fails the people who need it. As of this week people are being asked to make their way to larger towns to avail of community welfare services. This does not recognise the geography of rural Ireland and the difficulties many of the clients of the Department of Social Protection face in accessing services.“The 12 clinics are in outlying areas where there is no transport link to get people to larger towns to access the clinics. These are some of the most vulnerable people in society and through their need to access services they must have a lot of contact with community welfare officers for vital services such as the exceptional needs payment or Supplementary Welfare Allowance.He says the letter issued in Donegal states that these closures are due to the rollout of the Intreo programme, a one-stop shop for employment services.“However, I fail to see what the community welfare offices will bring to the rollout of the Intreo service when they need to be kept in place to provide the services which are vital to those using them. “One of the clinics closing is in Pettigo, and an offer has been made to clients to use the clinic either in Ballyshannon or in Donegal town. There is one bus service a week to Donegal town from Pettigo and there is none to Ballyshannon.“While there may be a telephone service available, it will be interesting to see how that will work where there are application forms to be filled out or paperwork to be sent in to the community welfare officer for a decision. So I’ll be keeping a close eye on how the situation progresses” stated Pringle. MINISTER SAYS DONEGAL COMMUNITY CLINICS CLOSURE TO BE REVIEWED was last modified: October 3rd, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Community ClinicsdonegalMinister Joan BurtonThomas Pringle
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant “During Lent we enter into a journey with Jesus. We want to experience with him that time of trial. What was it like to walk in his shoes?” Hull said. “It was a pretty lonely road but he never felt entirely alone because God the Father was with him. The road is hard, but you’re never alone. In the end, there is the Resurrection, and death never has the last word.” The Rev. Joy Magala, who has been a pastor at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church for 14 years, will lead the first fellowship session with the lesson, “The Human Condition,” based on Mark 7:1-23. “Lent is a time set aside for repentance and fasting. The Wednesday fellowship is a less threatening way, a more intimate way, for people who have been away from going to church to reconnect,” said Magala, who grew up attending the Anglican Church in Uganda. “It’s been my experience in church that, after the preaching, sometimes there is just the right word in a hymn that I can take to change my life. I hope that people go away with one lesson (on Wednesday) that they can put into practice that will change their life.” There are a variety of ways in which Lent can be observed, including some form of fasting and sacrificing a pleasure. Magala suggested “eliminate that which has become a bondage” and set a regular time of daily prayer. Her personal approach this Lent will also include “going simpler” at mealtimes. “More and more during Lent, it has become common to set aside a special service project for others instead of giving up something,” said Hull. “One of the most important questions to ask could be, ‘How are you in relationship to your spouse, your co-worker, God?’ Find a certain study, maybe the Psalms, or join us at the Bible study on Wednesday. Just give yourself time to look inward.” Lenten worship, study and fellowship events: Lenten Wednesday Night Fellowship, 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays through April 5, beginning with Holy Eucharist service, followed by a soup supper at 7 p.m. and Bible study at 7:30 p.m., St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, 14646 Sherman Way, Van Nuys. “Morning of Meditations,” with parish members’ thoughts on Jesus’ time in the Garden of Gethsemane, 8:30 a.m.-noon March 18. “Making Palm Crosses” class, 10 a.m.-noon March 28. Regular Sunday services at 8 and 10 a.m. Call (818) 785-4251. Holly Andres, (818) 713-3708 firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! VAN NUYS – The start of the Lenten season offers the opportunity for reflection and reconnection with God, with St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in Van Nuys providing an informal five-week Lenten Wednesday Night Fellowship forum. The program begins Wednesday and will include Holy Communion, a soup supper and a Lenten-themed Bible study and discussion. “It’s a wonderful way to reconnect with the season of Lent. It’s a preparation for Easter so that Easter has more meaning,” said the Rev. Norman Hull of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church. “Lent is a time for self-examination, for real reflectiveness. We’re asking ourselves, ‘How have I strayed from God?”‘ The biblical basis for the 40-day season of Lent recalls the 40 days that Jesus spent fasting, praying and encountering the devil in the wilderness while preparing for his ministry.
LANCASTER – Four Palmdale men are awaiting trial in connection with a string of burglaries stretching from the San Fernando Valley to the Antelope Valley. One of the break-ins occurred in January 2005 in Acton, where, unknown to the suspects, the homeowner called 911 from under a bed as she heard one of intruders say, “If anything moves, shoot it,” according to prosecutors. Charged are Ricardo Nunez, 28, Salvador Perez, 23, and brothers Jorge, 20, and Ramiro Ruvalcaba, 22. The four men were ordered held for trial after a three-day preliminary hearing that concluded Thursday. They have all pleaded not guilty and remain in custody. Evans said the woman was in her house when she heard the door kicked open. Before seeking refuge under her bed, she saw three men with guns entering the house, Evans said. “Forty minutes after they left, they were using her credit card to buy food at Carl’s Jr. in the San Fernando Valley,” Evans said. The January 2005 chase occurred after a Los Angeles County housing inspector went to a home in Lancaster to check complaints that the occupants were involved in narcotics. The inspector, who was called because the tenant received a Section 8 rent subsidy, spotted items that appeared to be stolen, deputies said. As deputies were attempting to get a search warrant, the suspects drove up in a truck and took off after they spotted the deputies, officials said. email@example.com (661) 267-5744160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl eventFour other defendants have entered pleas to other charges and been sentenced to terms ranging from 16 months to four years in prison, prosecutors said. “They committed residential burglaries during the daytime when people were working and these defendants weren’t,” Deputy District Attorney John Evans said. Nunez and another man were arrested two days after the Acton burglary following a 48-mile chase from Lancaster to Sylmar. Authorities said a search of a Lancaster home and a Palmdale storage locker turned up hundreds of pieces of stolen property, including passports, driver’s licenses, checkbooks, leather jackets, watches, cell phones, portable disc-jockey equipment and computers. Sheriff’s deputies said the property appeared to have been stolen in dozens of home burglaries, car burglaries and robberies to pay for drug use. Methamphetamine, counterfeit money and forged checks were tossed out of the pickup truck during the chase, deputies said. Among the property deputies found was an expensive shotgun stolen during the Acton burglary as the woman hid from the intruders. The burglars also stole her sport utility vehicle.
A liberal church at the center of a dispute with the Internal Revenue Service over a 2004 sermon will decide this week whether to fight an IRS summons. The IRS is requesting a number of documents be produced by Sept. 29 and that the church’s rector, the Rev. Ed Bacon, testify before an IRS agent on Oct. 11. The congregation of All Saints Episcopal Church in Pasadena discussed the matter during a church service Sunday. The church could lose its tax-exempt status because of an anti-war sermon delivered two days before the 2004 election by its former rector, Rev. George F. Regas. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe joys and headaches of holiday travel: John PhillipsRegas did not urge parishioners to support President Bush or Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., but was critical of the Iraq war and Bush’s tax cuts, Bacon said in an interview last November when the investigation was announced. Parishioners Sunday gave Bacon a standing ovation after he described reasons why the church might choose to resist the summons. Resisting would mean the IRS would have to decide whether to ask for a hearing before a judge, who could then rule on the legality of the summons. If a hearing were held, the church would argue that the IRS summons is “an intrusion, an attack upon this church’s First Amendment rights to the exercise of freedom of religion and freedom of speech,” Bacon said. Though no vote was taken Sunday, there appeared to be strong support to resist the summons, several congregants said. “We are leaning in that direction,” said church spokesman Keith Holeman. The church’s governing body could still decide to comply with the summons in the hope that producing the documents and the testimony would resolve the dispute, said Robert Long, the church’s senior warden. “I’ve been through the documents and I think it fully supports our position that we have not been in violation of the IRS regulations,” Long said.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!