Data Storage: Bit Rot Threatens to Leave Behind a Digital Dark Age

first_imgVint Cerf, a “father of the Internet” and now Google Vice President, is warning that we’re at risk of losing massive amounts data to future generations.  Our current culture might well become a “digital dark age” mystery to historians.Cerf said that “when you think about the quantity of documentation from our daily lives that is captured in digital form, like our interactions by email, people’s tweets, and all of the World Wide Web, it’s clear that we stand to lose an awful lot of our history.  We are nonchalantly throwing all of our data into what could become an information black hole without realizing it. We digitize things because we think we will preserve them, but what we don’t understand is that unless we take other steps, those digital versions may not be any better, and may even be worse, than the artifacts that we digitized. If there are photos you really care about, print them out.”‘Bit Rot’ may be part of the problem.  As hardware and software continues to evolve at a breakneck speed obsoleting older less-efficient technologies, data not migrated forward to be stored with newer technologies are at risk of being irrecoverably lost.  Storage media and today’s proprietary file formats may not be accessible in the future.In 2007, the Storage Networking Industry Association offered a plan to build a “100 year archive”, but it was never implemented.  The problem is that right now the problem doesn’t seem urgent and no company, group or agency that sees any incentive for funding such a project.Cerf said that “we don’t want our digital lives to fade away. If we want to preserve them, we need to make sure that the digital objects we create today can still be rendered far into the future.”last_img read more

Bunker One to Start Marine Fuel Supply in German Ports

first_imgzoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pexels under CC0 Creative Commons license Denmark-based marine fuel supplier Bunker One revealed plans to establish a new physical bunker entity that will serve the German market. The new entity Bunker One (Germany) GmbH will be supplying marine fuel products and other related services to ferry, container and other commercial vessels in all ports it the German North Sea and Baltic Sea regions with bases in Rostock, Kiel and Hamburg.Products will be delivered by barge, truck, and ex pipe. The new business unit will operate storage facilities in several relevant locations in Germany. Barge deliveries will be carried out by tank vessels, according to Bunker One.From mid 2019 the latest, the physical operation will be able to provide very low sulphur fuel oil (VLSFO) with a maximum sulphur content of 0.5%, as informed by Bunker One.Last month, Bunker One also started with its operation in Jamaican ports, off Jamaica and Trinidad. In the Caribbean, the company is using two specialized tankers – MT Kalymnos and MT Keflonia.last_img read more

Delhi has one of the best bowling attacks in IPL: Ishant

first_imgNew Delhi: India speedster Ishant Sharma believes his IPL franchise Delhi Capitals has one of the best bowling attacks for the upcoming edition of the event. The Delhi Capitals boast of a perfect combination of fast and spin bowlers with the likes of New Zealand pacer Trent Boult and Kagiso Rabada in their side, according to Ishant. “Our team has picked up some great bowling options in the squad and with the likes of Trent Boult and Kagiso Rabada also in the team. I think we have one of the best bowling line-ups this time. We have some very good all-rounders along with great spinners, which shall help us in restricting teams from scoring freely,” Ishant said. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over ChandigarhTalking about his goals, the Indian pacer said he is eager to take more wickets in the IPL, starting March 23. “I feel there is a huge ambition for me this season. I am very focused on taking more wickets throughout the tournament instead of just bowling well. “Of course, taking wickets depends on how well you bowl, but the most important thing is that you use your good performance by helping the team in taking important wickets,” said the 30-year-old. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced laterIshant, who has taken 58 wickets with an economy of 8.2 in his IPL career, believes that his team has a great blend of pacers and spinners in the squad. Speaking on his return to Delhi, Ishant said he is extremely happy to represent his home city in the IPL. “I have played for different teams in the IPL but it makes me immensely happy to be able to represent Delhi Capitals this season. Being a Delhi boy, it is a great chance for me to represent my home side and my most important target is to make the Capitals win the coveted title,” said the lanky bowler.last_img read more

Japan lifts evacuation in parts of Fukushima plant hometown

first_imgTokyo: Japan partially lifted an evacuation order in one of the two hometowns of the tsunami-wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant on Wednesday for the first time since the 2011 disaster. Decontamination efforts have lowered radiation levels significantly in the area about 7 kilometers (4 miles) southwest of the plant where three reactors had meltdowns due to the damage caused by the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami. The action allows people to return to about 40 percent of Okuma. The other hometown, Futaba, remains off-limits, as are several other towns nearby. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USMany former residents are reluctant to return as the complicated process to safely decommission the plant continues. Opponents of lifting the evacuation orders in long-abandoned communities say the government is promoting residents’ return to showcase safety ahead of the Tokyo Olympics next summer. The government has pushed for an aggressive decontamination program by removing topsoil, chopping trees and washing down houses and roads in contaminated areas, though experts say the effort only caused the contamination to move from one place to another, creating massive amounts of radioactive waste and the need for its long-term storage. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsThe meltdowns at three of Fukushima Dai-ichi’s six reactors caused massive radiation leaks that contaminated the plant’s surroundings, forcing at its peak some 160,000 people to evacuate their homes for areas elsewhere in Fukushima or outside the prefecture. Evacuation orders in most of the initial no-go zones have been lifted, but restrictions are still in place in several towns closest to the plant and to its northwest, which were contaminated by radioactive plumes from the plant soon after its meltdowns. More than 40,000 people were still unable to return home as of March, including Okuma’s population of 10,000. Town officials say the lifting of the evacuation order in the two districts would encourage the area’s recovery. “We are finally standing on a starting line of reconstruction,” Okuma mayor Toshitsuna Watanabe told reporters.last_img read more

Carlos Hyde becomes first running back coached by Urban Meyer to gain

Senior running back Carlos Hyde (34) pushes through Indiana defenders for his 1,000th rushing yard of the season. Hyde became the first running back under coach Urban Meyer to eclipse the 1,000-yard mark. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editorOhio State senior running back Carlos Hyde became the first running back to rush for 1,000 yards in a season under Urban Meyer in the second quarter of OSU’s game against Indiana Saturday.Hyde went into the game against the Hoosiers needing just 53 yards to reach the milestone, which he gained on OSU’s sixth drive with a seven-yard run. He ran for 26 of those yards on the Buckeyes’ first drive, capping it with a 16-yard touchdown run.The run to reach the milestone was Hyde’s 10th carry of the game and 130th carry of the season.Hyde became the first OSU running back to rush for 1,000 yards in a season since Daniel “Boom” Herron rushed for 1,155 yards in 2010.Overall, Hyde became the second OSU player to rush for 1,000 yards in a season with Meyer as head coach. The first to do so was quarterback Braxton Miller, who ran for 1,271 yards last season.The Buckeyes hold a 28-0 lead at halftime against Indiana, after Hyde found the end zone for the second time with 37 seconds left in the second quarter. The senior ran for 71 yards on 12 carries in the first 30 minutes of play. read more

Football Urban Meyer praises Brendon White in Monday press conference

Ohio State did not have much secondary depth heading into the Nebraska game Saturday. The Buckeyes were without sophomore safety Isaiah Pryor, out with a shoulder impingement, and sophomore cornerback Jeffrey Okudah, out with a groin injury suffered during practice that week. Jordan Fuller did not do Ohio State any favors. The junior safety was ejected from the game in the second quarter after being called for targeting. But sophomore safety Brendon White gave head coach Urban Meyer some hope. He recorded 13 total tackles — two for loss.In his weekly press conference, Meyer would not go as far as to say White’s performance was “refreshing” for the Ohio State defense, noting he is not sure he has used that word in his life. But he said White’s performance was important, especially at a shaky position. “Going back to springtime, safety was not a solidified position. We have to play much better at that spot,” Meyer said. “You had some injuries this week. And obviously the targeting call. And there he is, he’s in the game. And looked out there, you had Shaun Wade at one safety and Brendon White at the other.” Meyer said after the game Saturday he expects Pryor and Okudah to be back for Michigan State. But, with White’s performance, the head coach said he has a decision to make: whether White earned a start even with a healthy secondary. Meyer said that answer will come in the next few days, but, nevertheless, the sophomore safety has earned playing time. “We’re going to find out. He’s certainly going to play. He’s earned that right. He’s practiced. That was coming,” Meyer said. “His practices have been very good the last couple of weeks and coach Grinch made that clear in front of the team after the game. But he’s certainly earned the right to be on the field.” Without a definite starter next to Fuller, Meyer said White will still have to earn the trust of the coaching staff. But after his performance against the Cornhuskers, White will have continued opportunities to grow into that role, Meyer said. Hartline picks up on the recruiting trailEven with the lack of stability with the Ohio State wide receivers heading into the 2018 season, with the firing of former wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator Zach Smith, interim wide receivers coach Brian Hartline did not have time to learn the ropes of recruiting. However, in his new role, Hartline has continued the trend, securing a commitment from 2020 four-star wide receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba. A Rockwall, Texas, native, Smith-Njigba is the No. 59 wide-receiver recruit in the country and the No. 36 recruit in the start, according to the 247Sports composite rankings. Along with Smith-Njigba, Hartline has helped keep five-star 2019 wide receiver Garrett Wilson, who was at the Nebraska game Saturday, committed to the Buckeyes even after Smith’s firing in July, and added a commitment from 2019 four-star wide receiver Jameson Williams in September. To Meyer, Hartline is doing a very good job in a role he was forced into. “He was thrust into a situation,” Meyer said. “And I think one of the great things he had, he had a veteran group to coach, and he has very good recruiters around here to see how it’s done. He’s been here a couple of years. That’s a positive.” Meyer has not confirmed whether Hartline’s title of interim coach will turn into a full-time role, saying he will “address it at the right time.” read more

Real Valladolid will be punished for the state of their pitch confirms

first_imgLa Liga president Javier Tebas has confirmed that Real Valladolid will be punished for the repulsive and deplorable state of their pitch in Saturday night’s game against BarcelonaIn the first few minutes of the league encounter, holes began appearing everywhere with the players struggling to keep their footing in key moments.The dreadful state of the Estadio José Zorrilla even caused them to lose control of the ball at times.“The pitch at the Jose Zorrilla did not meet the minimum criteria demanded for a competition like La Liga,” said Tebas in a tweet.“Obviously a disciplinary file will be opened.”Barcelona defender Gerard Pique, who made his 300th La Liga appearance on Saturday night, was also fuming over the pitch.“They want to take players to play in the United States, but the state of the grass here was a disgrace,” said Pique, as stated on Sport.“Players were running the risk of injury. It was lamentable and I hope they investigate the matter.”Barcelona managed to scrape all three points thanks to a 57th-minute strike from Ousmane Dembele.Sergio Ramos, Real MadridZidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.But the main talking point remained the state of the Estadio José Zorrilla.This is how Valladolid pitch looked like 2 days before facing Barcelona.Image: Real Valladolid pitch two days ago. [via @MHChehade] pic.twitter.com/5pesa3FnJy— Barça Centre (@barcacentre) August 25, 2018And this was what the players had to cope with on Saturday.FC Barcelona overcame a spirited Real Valladolid side last night but the state of the recently laid pitch at the Estadio Jose Zorrilla was nothing short of shambolic. #FCBarcelona pic.twitter.com/KvbBe7frta— Yousef Teclab (@yousef_teclab) August 26, 2018last_img read more

Agent refuses to comment on Frenkie de Jongs future

first_imgFrenkie de Jong’s agent has given no indication on whether or not his client will be leaving AjaxThe 21-year-old midfielder has emerged as one of Ajax’s brightest prospects in recent years and has caught the interest of Barcelona and Tottenham Hotspur.Recently reports have suggested that Real Madrid are now in the race for De Jong and are willing to pay €80m to fend off competition.The 13-time European champions view him an upgrade to Mateo Kovacic, who left on a season-long loan deal at Chelsea.James Rodriguez, Real MadridZidane hails ‘quality’ James Rodriguez after Real Madrid’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane reserved special praise for James Rodriguez after his starring role in Real Madrid’s 3-2 win over Levante.“I can neither confirm or deny it,” agent Ali Dursun told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, via Mundo Deportivo.Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City are also allegedly interested in the midfielder.De Jong himself stated recently that he intends to remain at Ajax for now, while sporting director Marc Overmars announced he will not be leaving Amsterdam in January.last_img read more

Arjen Robben out for Bayern Munich until 2019

first_imgBayern Munich manager Niko Kovac has confirmed Arjen Robben will not available to him for the rest of 2018The 34-year-old winger aggravated a thigh injury and has been absent for Bayern’s last three matches against Ajax, Nurnberg and Werder Bremen.Speaking ahead to Saturday’s trip to Hannover 96, Kovac broke the news that Robben will miss the rest of their remaining three fixtures before the winter break in Germany.“He won’t play again in this half of the season. The focus is on January 4,” said Kovac, according to Goal.“The doctors looked at it. It makes no sense for us to go into a major injury.”Jadon Sancho, Borussia DortmundCrouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.The Croatian will not be deciding who plays on Saturday until training today has been completed.“We have one day less due to the Wednesday match than if we had played on Tuesday,” added Kovac.“We will decide who plays after training. We have to keep in mind that we have three games [in eight days].”After Hannover, Bayern will take on RB Leipzig and Eintracht Frankfurt next week.last_img read more

FortisTCI on five hour Chalk Sound black out

first_img Related Items:chalk sound, fortis tci, lineman, power FortisTCI reveals Education Week winners Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp TCI Police looking for candy & electricity thieves Recommended for you Rave Reviews for National Science Fair ideas Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 13 Apr 2015 – A five hour power outage yesterday was caused by an underground circuit fault according to FortisTCI. Around 2pm, the Chalk Sound area lost electricity and according to a Fortis report, the power was returned by around 7:30pm. The company explained lineman worked through the restoration and apologized for the inconvenience.last_img read more